To celebrate the progress of work flexibility in recent years, FlexJobs has just released the FlexJobs 250: Top Companies for Flexible Jobs , a list based on an analysis of over 40,000 companies and their flexible job posting histories in FlexJobs’ database between October 1, 2013 and October 1, 2016. A “flexible job” is defined as a professional-level job that has a telecommuting, flexible schedule, part-time, or freelance component.
There has been significant growth in both the availability of flexible jobs in the past three years--FlexJobs experienced a 75 percent increase in the number of flexible jobs posted in its database--and in the awareness of why work flexibility is important. In fact, the creation of the FlexJobs 250 list in honor of the three year anniversary of 1 Million for Work Flexibility, an advocacy initiative launched by FlexJobs’ founder Sara Sutton Fell to help encourage anyone who wants or needs work flexibility to easily show that they think flexible work options are important.
Technological advancements, such as Wi-Fi, smartphones, cloud-based technologies and new collaboration tools and applications, along with generational changes, have driven the rise of flexibility in the workforce. Today,flexibility is a top element workers look for in a job, with the majority of workers willing to change jobs, change careers, or give up a promotion to achieve better work-life balance.
“The landscape of flexible work has evolved dramatically since I founded FlexJobs, and it’s important to celebrate how much progress companies have made towards work flexibility in recent years," said Sara Sutton Fell, Founder and CEO of FlexJobs. “Professional, viable flexible jobs are now available across a wide variety of industries and at all career-levels, which is due both to companies hearing their employees’ demands for work flexibility, as well as employers themselves recognizing the many benefits.”
A brief overview of the state of flexible work:
- 80 percent of U.S. companies currently offer flexible work arrangements.
- 75 percent of companies worldwide have introduced flexible working policies and 58 percent of US companies have reported increased profits after implementing flexible working.
- 89 percent of HR professionals say flexible work arrangements will be more prevalent in the next five years.
Since 2013, work-life balance, family, time savings, and commute stress have been the top reasons people seek flexible work.
More details on specific types of work flexibility (telecommuting, freelance, part-time and flexible schedules):
- Telecommuting specifically has grown 103 percent in the last ten years, and 37 percent of U.S. workers telecommute at least some of the time (up from 9 percent in 1995).
- Nearly one in five workers currently work part-time in the U.S. By 2020, that figure is expected to rise to 40 percent. 77 percent of those part-time workers work part-time for non-economic reasons.
- There are now 53 million freelancers in the U.S., compared to only 10.3 million freelancers in 2005.
- 82 percent of employers allow staffers flexible scheduling to take time off during workdays to attend to important needs without a loss of pay
Companies of all sizes hiring for a range of positions and across a variety of industries are represented on the list. Medical & Health, HR & Staffing, Computer & IT, and Education & Training are the top industries featured on the FlexJobs 250 list but others such as Accounting & Finance, Government and Travel & Hospitality are also prevalent.
Below are the top 25 companies on the FlexJobs 250: Top Companies for Flexible Jobs list, as well as examples of jobs currently posted and the flexibility the job offers. FT refers to full-time schedules and PT refers to part-time schedules. View the entire list.
- Analytical Technologist, FT Temporary
- Human Resource Manager, FT Freelance
- Paralegal, Legal Assistant, FT Temporary
Robert Half International
- Web Developer, FT Telecommute
- Civil Litigation Legal Editor, Long-Term Telecommute
- Staffing Manager, FT Freelance
- Business Development Executive, FT Telecommute
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, FT Temporary
- Senior Proposal Manager, FT Telecommute
- Technical Account Management Senior Advisor, FT Telecommute
- Senior Level Claims Examiners, FT Telecommute
- Field, Technical Associate, Short-term Freelance
- Bilingual Retail Sales Consultants - PT
- Sales Support Representative - PT
- Retail Sales Consultant - PT
- GMAT Instructor, PT Telecommute
- Development Editor, FT Telecommute
- International Instructor, PT Flexible Schedule
- Manager, Provider Data, FT Telecommute
- Associate Behavioral Medical Director, PT Telecommute
- Registered Nurse Advisor, Alternative Schedule, Telecommute
- Vice President Medicaid Proposal Development, FT Telecommute
- Health Coach - Wellness, PT
- Senior Director of Compliance, FT Telecommute
- Acupuncturist-Outreach - Occasional Schedule
- Senior Scientific Advisor - PT
- Physician - PT
Carolinas HealthCare System
- Registered Nurse, PT Freelance
- Pharmacist - PT
- Psychotherapist - PT
Providence Health & Services
- Telepsychiatrist - FT Telecommute
- Medical Director - Surgical - PT
- Senior Hospital Coder - FT Telecommute
- Global Sanctions and Patriot Act Business Systems Consultant - FT Telecommute
- Personal Banker - PT
- Business Relationship Manager - FT Telecommute
- Information Security Consultant 5 - FT Telecommute
- Interviewer - PT Telecommute
- Assessment Administrator - PT Temporary
- Field Interviewer, PT Temporary
- Physics Lead Instructor - FT Telecommute
- Android Mobile Developer - Telecommute
- Analytics Consultant - FT Telecommute
- Principal Software Engineer - FT Telecommute
- Registered Nurse (Home Care) - Occasional Schedule
- Certified Medical Coder - FT Telecommute
- Project Manager, Operational Risk Management - FT Telecommute
Day & Zimmerman
- Regulatory Affairs Associate - Freelance
- Senior Finance Project Manager - FT Freelance
- Motion Graphic Artist - FT Freelance
U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Veterinary Medical Officer - FT Telecommute
- Research Ecologist - FT Temporary
- Agricultural Marketing Specialist - FT Telecommute
- Buyer - PT
- Background Investigator - FT Telecommute
- Senior Multimedia Engineer - FT Telecommute
- Graphic Designers, Print and Digital - Freelance
- Technical Writer - Freelance
- Marketing Manager - Freelance
- Health Information Exchange Project Manager - FT Telecommute
- Senior Engineer - FT Telecommute
- Service Delivery Manager, Hosting and Network Services - FT Telecommute
- Middle School Math Teacher - Telecommute
- High School PE, Health Teacher - Telecommute
- Grades K-5 Teacher - Telecommute
- Claims Processor - FT Temporary
- Behavioral Health Interviewer - Part-time
- Department Manager Leader - PT Temporary
- Interaction Website Designer - FT Temporary
- Marketing Manager - Freelance
- Art Director - Freelance
- Adjunct Regional Clinical Coordinator - PT Occasional Schedule
- Occupational Therapist - Occasional Schedule
- Senior Diagnostic Medical Sonographer - PT, Alternative Schedule
- Salesforce Developer - Freelance, Temporary
- Operations and Maintenance Program Coordinator - Freelance, Temporary (Long-term)
- DevOps Engineer (English and Chinese speaking) - Freelance, Temporary (Long-term)
To show that you think that work flexibility is a good idea and to learn more about 1 Million for Work Flexibility.
FlexJobs is the leading online service for professionals seeking telecommuting, flexible schedule, part-time, and freelance jobs. With flexible job listings in over 50 career categories, and opportunities ranging from entry-level to executive and freelance to full-time, FlexJobs offers job seekers a safe, easy, and efficient way to find professional and legitimate flexible job listings. Having helped over two million people in their job searches, FlexJobs has appeared on CNN and Marketplace Money and in TIME, Forbes, Fortune, and hundreds of other trusted media outlets.FlexJobs' Founder & CEO Sara Sutton Fell has also launched two additional partner sites,Remote.co and 1 Million for Work Flexibility, to help provide education and awareness about the viability and benefits of remote working and work flexibility. Sutton Fell is also the creator of The TRaD* Works Conference (*Telecommuting, Remote, & Distributed), dedicated to helping companies leverage the benefits of telecommuting, remote and distributed teams.
About 1 Million for Work Flexibility
1 Million for Work Flexibility, a diverse coalition of companies, nonprofits, business leaders and individuals, is the first national initiative creating a collective voice in support of work flexibility. Follow on Twitter at @workflexibility and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/1MforWorkFlexibility.